Surviving the Flood...
Surviving the Flood... We live in a world where mother nature has a mind of her own at times, and natural disaster can strike at any time and can ruin the "normalcy" of the life we once had. The nice furniture, flooring, and decor that once occupied our home, now washed away by water. Whether the flooding has occurred in your house because of a pipe bursting, a sewer backup, faulty appliance, a heavy rain or rising floodwaters, there are important steps you should take in order to keep you and your family safe. After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
- Do not panic, take a breath and understand that although today feels like the worst day ever. Things WILL get better.
- Keep safety always at the forefront of your mind (stop the water source, shut all electricity off, etc.)
- Call SERVPRO in order to get things clean, dry and back to beautiful as quickly as possible.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
- Highly Trained Water Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Water Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Water Inspection, Extraction, and Drying Equipment