Facts about Tornado Season
Are you Prepared in the Event of a Tornado?
We are about to enter in storm season here in North Texas. During this time of year, our main threat comes mostly from tornadoes and wind damages. Here are a couple of tips from Ready.gov about Being Prepared for a Tornado.
To begin preparing, you should consider the following:
- Build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or to commercial radio or television newscasts for the latest information. In any emergency, always listen to the instructions given by local emergency management officials.
- Be alert to changing weather conditions. Look for approaching storms.
- If you see approaching storms or any of the danger signs, be prepared to take shelter immediately.
- Have a pre-designated area such as a safe room, basement, storm cellar, or the lowest building level. If there is no basement, go to the center of a small interior room on the lowest level (closet, interior hallway) away from corners, windows, doors, and outside walls. Put as many walls as possible between you and the outside. Get under a sturdy table and use your arms to protect your head and neck.